Industrial Minerals / Boron: Global industry markets and outlook, 12th edition 2010
- 1. Summary
- 2. Introduction and occurrence of boron minerals
- 3. Mining and processing of borates
- 4. World production of borates
- 5. Review of borate-producing countries and companies
- 6. International trade in borates
- 7. World consumption of borates
- 8. End-uses for borates
- 9. Prices of borates
Boron: Global industry markets and outlook, 12th edition 2010
Global demand for borates grew strongly in the three years to 2008, at up to 8%py, largely driven by growth in the Chinese market now the worlds largest where consumption rose by 15%py from 2000 to 2008. Growth in the market share held by Asian countries partly reflects the shift in production of textile-grade fibreglass, borosilicate glass and ceramics away from North America and Europe to countries with lower production costs. Following the years of strong growth, 2009 saw a sharp drop in demand for borates, but, in the second half of the year, markets for both textile-grade fibreglass and borosilicate glass recovered and demand for borosilicate glass in LCD screens is expected to grow by 15% in 2010. An up-turn in construction activity should provide a recovering market for insulation-grade fibreglass in the medium term. World production of natural and refined borates remains highly concentrated in Turkey and the USA; the two countries accounting for around 75% of supply. Chinese boron is inadequate in terms of both quantity and grade to meet domestic demand so the country is now the largest importer of both natural borates and boric acid.
Get accurate answers from independent experts
- Where will future expansions in mine supply be located?
- Will production of boric acid from brine have a significant impact on supply?
- What are the main applications for borosilicate glass?
- Which companies dominate production of fibreglass in China?
- What is the main driver behind forecast growth in demand for FeB of 10-15%py
- What is the outlook for boron prices?
This report gives you a full analysis of the key trends, issues and developments in the market, a clear insight into all areas of the industry and an authoritative analysis of its prospects.